About Depeche Mode
Depeche Mode is an electronic music band from the town of Basildon, England,
founded in 1980. They have been one of the longest-lived and most successful bands to have emerged during the New
Wave and New Romantic era, though they are more akin to what was known as the 'Futurist' scene; many of their
videos have been heavily rotated on MTV. As of 2006, it is estimated that Depeche Mode has sold over 72 million
albums worldwide. They have influenced many of today's popular artists, in part due to their innovative work,
techniques and use of sampling. In their home country, the UK, they are still thought of by some as an "Eighties
band". Though massively influential in the modern electronic dance scene, they remain in the alternative
The three current members of the band are:
* Martin Gore (primary songwriting, vocals, guitars, keyboards)
* David Gahan (lead vocals, recent songwriting)
* Andrew Fletcher (keyboards)
Former members include:
* Alan Wilder (production, keyboards, drums, vocals, occasional songwriting) from 1982 to 1995.
* Vince Clarke (primary songwriting, keyboards), from 1980 to 1981.